Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tron

Today, I found out that the long-awaited Tron Legacy has delayed its theater release until December. This aggravated me. As I sat thinking on this topic, I realized that there was no particular reason why this should upset me. After all, it is only a movie….

As I was talking to my friend, also an ardent supporter of the Tron franchise, the source of my frustration finally hit me. I believe that deep down, there are quite a few people who fantasize about being sucked into their computers, to find a strange new world inside the machine, albeit one without creepy guys in black suits and sunglasses (who also express amazing abilities in martial arts). I think that, as the chances of this happening are currently rather slim, then we of this hope must instead content ourselves with living our dream through the characters on the screen.

The first Tron movie was a surprisingly enjoyable ride, with simply amazing CG and special effects (though I must confess that at times I found the seamless blend of computer graphics and live action slightly disturbing). It truly made me feel as though I was looking into the computer.

Tron 2.0: Killer App.(the video game that acts as a sequel to the movie) was, first, an incredibly hard game (I found out the hard way that “normal” is a relative term), and second, almost more immersive than the movie. This time, I wasn’t merely watching events play out; I was making it happen, there inside the computer. I had all the power. It was, I came to realize, an amazing game, that well deserved its status as a sequel to the film.

I can only hope that this movie is well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment