Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Spatial Music

I recently started playing the guitar (mid-December to be exact). Now I jam on my keyboard as well. And I have been known to mess around with percussion. I don’t pretend that these things make me an expert on music, but it has given me some more insight into the individual perception of it.

When I talk to most of my friends, people who enjoy blasting music at maximum volume, I get the impression that most of society seems to view music as a flat background in which voices can be juxtaposed to create an overall painting, with the canvas being music, and voices being colors upon it.

Talking to a few others, I get the impression that music is a linear phenomenon, going from start to finish with a middle part. Every different view of music by every different individual that I’ve heard has moved me to create a new theory.

Music is four-dimensional.

Music may have a beginning and end, so we can think of that as a timeline, representing the nonspatial dimension of time. Music has layers of audio devices, be they instruments or voices. This represents depth. Each layer is complete in of itself, but its purpose is to enhance other layers by coinciding with them at specific time intervals. This enhances the whole. Each different layer has a different timeline, defining what sort and length of enhancement it can contribute. This can represent spatial length. Volume of each layer determines what variable mountains and valleys each layer may possess to enhance the quality and meaning of the whole. This may represent height.

This is a much-simplified verbal explanation for the mental picture I have in my head, but I hope that it suffices.

No comments:

Post a Comment