Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"It's All Greek To Me"

I once again set ink stained fingers to silver keyboard for your delectation and delight. The subject: languages.

Geeks love foreign languages. I think that most of the attraction may stem from the feeling of frustration most geeks feel at one time or another towards the limited capacity of just one language to describe the world around them. Of course, actually learning an existing language would be too much trouble…. Thus, geekly ingenuity springs into action like a cheetah on a trampoline! Of course! So simple, so obvious, and yet so overlooked! The answer is to simply create one’s own written language, free from any outside influence! Of course, it seems as though most conceptual written languages don’t ever get past the planning stages, and those that do die off rather quickly, as their own inventors cannot be less bothered to learn the language they just created.

When I was young, my cousin and I created a written “code” language, composed of triangles in various states of coloration. As I sat at my desk last night, I decided that the triangle idea was pretty good, but that there was some room for expansion. I started out with just triangles, but also threw in some crescents and ellipticals for variety’s sake. Then I began to work on prefixes and suffixes. When I had finished, I had a crude but fully functional alphabet and number system that was not based upon circles and lines, but triangles, broken crescents, and other savory characters. As an added bonus, I found this new alphabet fairly easy to learn, and now take sticky notes with this alphabet.

Now I just need to work on the spoken variant…………yeah right.

No comments:

Post a Comment