Thursday, November 25, 2010

Changing of the Guard

So, one day I have emerged from my room to grab a rather small lunch. My mom comes up to me and tells me to “have your computer disassembled and out of your room by this evening.” Before I continue I should explain something. Just a few weeks ago, a friend set me up with a very nice laptop, let’s call it a Bobbook. Of course, I was still in possession of my old computer, an ’03 XP with minimal RAM and VERY average processing power (which was why I needed the new computer to begin with). It used to take up almost all of my rather large desk, which in turn takes up almost all of my rather minimal floor space. So believe me when I tell you, dear reader, that the breaking down of my old computer was not a task to be undertaken lightly. The area between my desk and the wall resembled the root system of a rather large tree.

When I finally exported my old computer to a different room of the house, I suddenly remembered exactly WHY I have sworn never to get another CRT monitor. (For those of you have no idea what I’m referring to, CRT stands for “Cathode Ray Tube,” which is the old non-flat screen monitors that used to be standard. Lifting one of those is like lifting a small television. In other words, those things are heavy, dude!). Anyway, no sooner had I gotten the old computer out and the new one settled in than the vultures started gathering.

My dad: “Ooh! A DVD writer drive! I sure could use me a new one of those!”

Now, as I type this upon my silver Bobbook, I gaze over the vast expanse of desk now available. Speakers, pictures, and various little desk toys are the sole inhabitants of this barren wasteland. Kinda gives me the willies, having so much space available…

No comments:

Post a Comment