Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Height of Obscurity

Acronyms. Random hieroglyphics. Strange patterns of letters that can’t possibly mean anything, yet do.
Call ‘em what you like, but a true geek just LOVES (with a capital “L” and that rhymes with “spell” and that stands for “spellcheck!”) to use initials for anything and everything.

Consider if you would, the following phrase:
“Yup, I was sitting in my chair in front of my XP, thinking about which CPU internalized process I needed to defrag my BUS with, when all of the sudden, my AMD x2 processor, operating at full GHz capacity, decided to trash my SBC! Working hard, I was finally able to pinpoint the problem on my RAM, which is a relief because I’d rather that my HDD wasn’t corrupted. Of course, I was able to download the problem in question to my D drive, after extensive quarantine programming in MMF2 using MOOSOCK utilities, but I was able to save my STX and WMM files, and that’s all that matters. Unfortunately, all I had to write to was a CDRW!

Yes, dear reader, I do believe that phrase speaks for itself!

In fact, this discussion of acronyms ties in rather well with another topic: the geek’s usage of obscure and complicated phrases.
In algebra math, while everyone else uses such mundane phrases such as “Divide by that number by the x,” does the geek give in to this blatant normality? NO! He does not bow! He does not break! He uses the rather more obscure but entirely more descriptive phrase “Multiply by the reciprocal of the coefficient of the variable!”
When asked to help with computer antispyware efforts, does the geek say, “Delete your tracking programs?” NO! He does not! He says, “Run an IP disc cleanup program to identify and erase any subversive cookies found on your hard drive!”
When asked, “What is the best way to kill a zombie?” does he say, “Bash it in the head?”
NO!
HE!
DOES!
NOT!

Instead, he might say, “Effect massive cranial damage with blunt force trauma in such a way as to incapacitate the central nervous system!”

Point made.

1 comment:

  1. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete